At approximately 11:50 am ET the primary link to our Markham datacenter failed. Our datacenter facility has a backup link with another provider, however our BGP advertisements were not accepted via the new data route.
Services impacted included access to the Zoneedit control panel. DNS resolution, email and URL forwarding were NOT impacted.
As we worked with our data centre provider connectivity was intermittent until full restoration occurred at approximately 1:30pm ET
We have commenced a course of action to secure additional redundancy in addition to that provided by our datacenter vendor.
Zoneedit apologizes for the downtime.
At the moment when you login you will see “no domains in account”, we are rectifying this and will restore normal services shortly.
UPDATE: This may now be fixed. Watch this space.
There is an issue with Synology Dynamic DNS calls are returning “Hostname Not Found” errors to their clients.
In reality, most of these calls are actually working (your DNS is being updated). The problem is when a client updates with an IP that is already in place for your host, our side returns No Update Required, which is for some reason being misinterpreted as Hostname Not Found
We’re still working on it, we are also attempting to reach out to somebody on the Synology side to help us work through it.
There is a DDoS in progress against our Zurich POP initially affecting ns4, ns11, ns13 and ns17.
We are currently mitigating and will let you know when things calm down.
Apologies for the disruption.
Following on multiple notices to resellers, which apparently began in 2010, the old owners discontinued the legacy.zoneedit.com reseller channel (but never got around to actually unplugging it).
The legacy resellers channel was never a part of the ZoneEdit acquisition. We will be attempting to provide continuity of DNS services on dnsvr.com domains on a non-obligatory best-efforts basis.
We are shutting down access to legacy.zoneedit.com this week and cutting over all dnsvr.com nameservers today (Oct. 21, 2014). (We have sent multiple email notices about this to the reseller channel over the last few weeks).
We have zero visibility into the legacy resellers channel, it was unknown to us at every stage of this process (it’s existence became known after the transaction).
The seller has managed to provide us with some raw data and we have imported as many zones as we could into temporary holding accounts.
If you are still, somehow, unaware of this and are impacted by it then read this document.
If you need access to the shut down legacy.zoneedit panel to obtain a list of your domains, use oldlegacy.zoneedit.com (if the server is still up)
(Read more about the ZoneEdit Acquisition here)
We’ve implemented a couple of fixes to the dynamic DNS as follows:
- SSL errors – we’ve swapped out the SSL cert (some clients were not recognizing the intermediate CA, examples: ddclient) and upgraded it to a geotrust cert.
- Some wildcard requests were not recognized as such: FIXED
Some of the effects of the latter were experienced as follows:
- Synology ddns update FIXED
- Invalid Hostname error FIXED
- wildcard DNS wasn’t being updated FIXED
UPDATE: We are now routing email destined for verizon via an alternate route.
Verizon has been blocking our email forwarders since shortly after the migration.
We have entered numerous requests to be unblocked and we have been attempting to establish contact with somebody clueful over there via backchannels, so far no luck.
Impacted customers are encouraged to open a ticket with Verizon and request whitelisting of the new ZoneEdit mail forwarders:
You can also use your mail forwarding abilities to simply forward your email to another destination.
Of interest: easyDNS offers email hosting with it’s domain packages, see this for more info.
TXT records were truncated at 255 characters after migration which broke some SPF, DKIM and DomainKey records if they were longer than 255 chars.
- The interface now allows larger records to be entered (up to 1024 chars)
- Any records which were truncated but not already fixed by the users have been re-imported.